As I do not have a doctor here, and have not been having regular prenatal check-ups, I have been keeping my own personal records of those things which I can check. At the same time each month, I check my weight, waist growth, pulse, and uterus growth. This past month, I have noticed a greater weight gain than normal, and realized that my uterus had grown about an inch and a half higher than what it normally should have at this time in pregnancy. I also noticed that I could feel the baby kicking close to my ribs, as well as my bladder, at basically the same time. I concluded that we were having another big baby (Aria and Micah were both over 9 pounds) and I was getting big so fast because it’s my fourth pregnancy, or perhaps we had totally miscalculated the baby’s due date and our little one would be due sooner. I was in NO way prepared for what the ultrasound technician had to say.
We are so thankful for how smoothly the ultrasound went. We didn’t have to wait in line long at all, and the ultrasound technician and her assistant were super nice and friendly. I was quite nervous for the ultrasound, as I just wanted to make sure that the baby was o.k. as I have had no previous checks. I was relieved to hear the technician say that our little baby was doing well and healthy. Then, she turns to us and said, “you have two babies in here”. What?!?! Two babies??? No, I had NOT heard her right. How could that be? I totally did NOT believe her. But she kept saying, “yes, you have two babies… you have twins”! Oh my. I laid there in complete shock and disbelief (and panic?) while David was smiling from ear to ear and excited as can be. David later told me that he had had this little ‘feeling’ (whatever that is :D) that we were having twins, so he was all mentally prepared for the news. I had had NO idea.
But yes, it is true. We are having twins. And, as there is just one placenta, which they are sharing, it appears that we are having identical twins… identical twin girls!!!! :D I asked for a photo of our little babies, as I just wanted something to have to look at when I would wake-up and think that I had dreamt it all. :D All the technician could give us was a photo of their two stomachs together, so… I’d like to introduce you to Baby A and Baby B (or at least to their cute little bellies)…

We were so thankful to hear that, as far as the ultrasound technician could tell us, our little babies are growing healthy and strong, and that everything is going well. Baby A measured to be at around 314 grams in weight, while Baby B was measured at 282.5 grams. They are just a little over 30 grams difference in weight, which is good. Like I said, we are so thankful!!!
I later did some research on-line about identical, or monozygotic twins. I was amazed with what I read. Monozygotic twins occur (on the average) in only 3 out of every 1,000 births. And, out of all the multiple births that occur, monozygotic twins make up only 8% of those births. Meaning, identical twins are really not all that common. Also, having monozygotic twins is not hereditary (where-as fraternal twins are). No one can explain what makes a single fertilized egg split in two within the first 14 days after conception. It just ‘happens’ sometimes. All of this reminds us that this is only something which he can do, and that he has decided to bless our family at this time with twins. Even though I would be lying to say we are not a little overwhelmed with the thought of twins (o.k…. very overwhelmed!), we are also extremely excited for these two little babies and consider them to be such an incredible blessing and gift from him!
As far as our future plans…
Even when we thought we were just having one baby, we were planning on going to Germany for the birth. We are well aware that our little one(s) could have hip displasia, just as our Micah and Aria did, and we want to be close to good orthopedic doctors who can check them and provide the medical care if needed. (Hip displasia is something that can not be determined while in the womb.) We were planning on leaving mid-November when I would have been around 34 weeks of pregnancy.
Well, now that we know we are having twins, we have decided that it would be best to head to Germany a little earlier. The reasons for this being, that pregnancies with multiples can tend to be riskier than pregnancies with singletons, and we would like to be closer to our doctors during the final months of pregnancy. Also, twins tend to arrive earlier than singletons do, many times even prematurely. On an average, they come at 37 weeks of gestation. So, our little ones could arrive mid-December… on time for Christmas and Nina’s birthday! (Who knows?) Therefore, we have decided it would be best for us to head to Germany mid-October instead of waiting till mid-November. (Plus, I’m going to be HUGE… I mean, HUGE!!! I don’t really want to be sitting in a small airplane chair a week or two before they could come!)
We would continue to appreciate your thoughts for this pregnancy as well as for our twin babies. It is my desire to be able to carry them as long as I can, so that they can be as strong as possible before entering this world. Also, we have so much on our minds concerning the future. Yet, he keeps bringing us to the place where we just need to rest and trust in him, leaving everything in his hands. Sigh. That’s a wonderful place to be. :D
12 comments:
Congratulations on the wonderful surprise of TWO little ones in there! :-) Will be thinking of you in the months ahead...
Wow! TWINS!!! Amazing! Congrats you guys.
Your post made me giggle with joy. Congratulations.
Fantastic news! You are in our thoughts!
Hi - I am David and Erin's friend from Calgary - Congratulations on the wonderful news. Micah will have his hands full being the only brother to 4 sisters!! I guess your daughter will have to update her family photo with putting one more baby in mommy's tummy. I loved that drawing when I saw it on your blog. Congratulations again - safe travels in October back home to Germany. I am sure everyone there is looking forward celebrating this time with you and your family. Take care Laura Jean
Oh my goodness, Christy!!!! Congratulations on 2 babies coming your way! I'm sure they will be the most precious little babies. How are you with warm baby girl clothes? I have a friend who had twin girls--maybe she would be ready to get rid of some of their clothes. . . So excited for you guys!
--Megan S.
Wow! I'm excited for you guys and I'll be thinking of you!
Rachel
Congratulations! How exciting!I am really happy for you both. Still remember how i felt when we got those same news 11 years ago. Pray that your pregnacy goes well.
Hey you guys, wow, that is so awesome! I am so happy for you. Yesterday I had my final exam for my physio therapist training and guess what one of the questions was...What can you tell me about hip displasia? I remembered seeing some pictures of Micah on your post and that actually helped me... I am thinking of you! And would love to see you during your stay in Germany!! We'll see :-)
wow! Dear Christy, I will be thinking of you all, especially of you and the twins!!! God bless! What a surprise!
Oyuna
Wow! That is an amazing surprise! What's funny is, I am bigger with this baby and started wondering if I had twins, and was a bit disappointed to only see one baby in there on our ultrasound this week! :) I know it's a lot of work, esp. that first year, but I think it would be a lot of fun, too. We will be thinking of you, esp. as you are far from good medical care, and with the higher risk for complications, and that they would arrive safely and at just the right time. Take care!
Congratulations on TWO babies. How exciting (and overwhelming to think of). I have a twin niece and nephew who are 6 months old. It's very busy in their household, but it's fun to watch them grow and interact together! :) Hope your next few months goes smoothly as well as traveling and delivery!!!!
Karla
Post a Comment